Pages

Friday 27 December 2013

Odds and Ends

Towards Zero (by Agatha Christie) very cleverly uses Poirot, without him being physically present in the story. For that alone (and the dedication), the book is worth it.

I re-read Crooked House (by Christie, who else). I generally never remember plot points, especially of a book that I read only once, way back in school. I remembered this one though-may be because when I read it first, the only kid-detectives I knew were in the Enid Blyton-created world. Would I recommend it?
Ummm... what kind of a stupid question is that?

Speaking of stupid, I chose Calcutta to spend my Christmas-New Year break, over Bombay.

Two weekends back, I went to Jaipur. Sight-saw Amer Fort, where the guide pulled me up for not paying enough attention. Had cups of chai to relieve a head ache (I am getting so old). Re-lived a lot of memories with a childhood friend. She called the Dhoom franchise a five year employment-guarantee scheme for Uday Chopra and Abhishek Bachchan.

I liked Dhoom 3 (to nobody's surprise).

Why is Silver Linings Playbook such a great film? I didn’t root for the protagonists at all, didn’t understand how Tiffany was mentally ill, and found the “twist”, where Pat realises that Tiffany had written the letter extremely…for the lack of a better word…lame.

Why can’t people be old and frail without being worriers/ naggers?

I was getting sick of doing drills in guitar class, so my tutor showed me how to play the Karz tune. Also “Ajeeb dastan hai yeh”. He was going to show “Chura liya hai tumne jo” too but my co-learner put her foot down at that. I can’t actually play any of these since I do not practise.

The other day I roamed around aimlessly in Gurgaon’s cyber-city. Still hate it.

Why can’t I do a PhD in Agatha Christie studies?






2 comments:

  1. Please do the Phd. You could start by reviewing all of her books! I'm currently reading Mrs. Marple's Final Cases, and it's surprisingly.. not good at all.

    I didn't like Silver Linings Playbook either. Haven't seen Dhoom 3. And learning the Karz tune is a rite of passage for all budding guitarists. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are the final cases short stories? I remember reading Poirot short stories once during a summer break. They were strictly okay...The PhD would not have reviews though. More like a discussion on the underlying themes :D

      Delete